July 21, 2014

Visiting Boston

The past couple of days I've had my little brother visiting and it has been a blast! One of my favorite thing about out of town guests is that suddenly you're forced to actually go out and see your own city. So much of the wonderful things that brought me to Boston have been MIA from my life since I actually moved here so its been a ton of fun revisiting all of the historical sites and just walking the beautiful downtown streets. On that note I wanted to just share a couple of my personal "must see spots" in Boston.

There are so many different fun and beautiful things that Boston has to offer and there is really no way to make a list of what must be seen and done with out making an entirely new blog dedicated to the topic but I can list out a couple of my personally favorite spots and what I felt necessary to show my 18 year old brother now and of course continue to throw some more out there in future posts!

Considering I live in the Cambridge area and my brother is leaving for college in the fall the first stop on our tour was Harvard. Harvard Square had a couple of great places to grab some breakfast and coffee and from there we walked the campus all the way back to the house. Next we took the Red Line T down to Park Street and walked past the Common, the Granary Burying Ground (which includes the likes of John Hancock, Paul Revere and Samuel Adams), the Site of the Boston Massacre, Faneuil Hall, and then we headed towards the North End. The North End is great because it has an entirely different feel than the rest of the city - with it's narrow streets and rustic Italian restaurants it feels more like Europe than Boston. Once in the North End we were able to grab some delicious (albeit expensive) lunch and then head to the Old North Church. On our way back to the T we passed Mike's Pastry (which is delicious though often has a long line and we were pretty full so we passed - but worth stopping in if your looking for delicious cannoli). Also on our way back to the Park Street T station we walked past the Boston City Hall and the Massachusetts State House

The next day my brother was lucky enough to have some other friends who took him to the Cape, which I think is another must if you want to get the full Boston Summer experience. 

Finally, on Sunday we went to a Red Sox game (my first!) and cheered on as they dominated the Royals 6-0! Fenway is definitely something that you MUST SEE and even better if you can catch a game!


After the game we walked towards the Common, stopping at JP Licks of course and then heading down Boylston Street where we were able to see the Boston Marathon Finish Line and the site of the Boston bombings, we then crossed over to see some of Newbury Street and it's fun and eclectic architecture before walking through the Boston Public Gardens and the Common to the Red Line T.

Like I said there is plenty more that can be done in the Boston area and I will definitely be sharing some more ideas with you all in the future but I hope this can help with some initial plans for anyone headed to the area!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here!